Thursday 3 January 2013

David Lynch

Recently I've finished my maraton watching of Mad Men ( loved it ), and I was looking for a new TV show, so I came across Twin Peaks. Since I like David Lynch's work, full of mystique and oddness, I decided to do a little bit of research. 



Known for his surrealist films, he has developed his own unique cinematic style, which has been dubbed "Lynchian", a style characterized by its dream imagery and meticulous sound design. The surreal, and in many cases, violent, elements contained within his films have been known to "disturb, offend or mystify" audiences.

"I look at the world and I see absurdity all around me. People do strange things constantly, to the point that, for the most part, we manage not to see it. That's why I love coffee shops and public places – I mean, they're all out there."



Blue Velvet poster featuring Isabella Rosellini and Dennis Hopper

His most famous movies are Eraserhead (1977), a film that he began in the early 1970s and which he would work on obsessively for five years. The final film was initially judged to be almost unreleasable weird, but  it secured a cult following and enabled Lynch to make his first mainstream film. 
The Elephant Man (1980), now classic Blue Velvet (1986), Wild at Heart (1990), Mulholland Drive ( 2001) 
He has achieved a huge cult following with his surreal TV series "Twin Peaks" . 




screenshot from Twin Peaks

And last but not least, David Lynch has opened its club in Paris, inspired by the deeply strange Club Silencio in Mulholland Drive. Last December, 2011, me and Elisa were visiting a friend there and had an honour to get inside and check it out. It really is impressive. 





Enjoy watching his movies and discovering this bizzare strange world he created.  

No comments:

Post a Comment